Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I choose Twitter over you

     Two weeks ago, I joined Twitter, and today I decided the next logical step includes blogging. I had a blog on Myspace...five years ago, and I felt like I was the funniest fucker ever. At one point, I had over 4,200 views and plenty of subscribers. I was even offered a position working for a local radio station. Albeit, it wasn't to be an on air DJ, but still. Three years ago, I deleted my Myspace account and moved onto Facebook. I wrote one measly blog, and that was about it. When 30-40 friends are family, and the rest of your 'friends' being people you actually know, you have to edit what you say. Besides, Facebook just isn't doing it for me anymore. Since when did Facebook become a site where your 'friends' (acquaintances you haven't said more than a sentence to, or former friends you haven't talked to in 10 years) try selling you crap, i.e. weight loss shakes, scrapbooking materials? And has anyone else noticed that Facebook should be called 'Mommy Central?' The majority of status updates have to do with their kids, or giving and receiving advice on a colicky baby. Maybe this will come in handy for me one day, but right now the only response they get out of me is an eye roll.

     So anyway, Twitter. I'm slowly getting the hang of it...the crowd is more intellectual than Facebook. So I am trying to cut out the cutesy stuff, and appeal more to this type of audience. Ever since I joined, I've had the hardest time writing my bio. Obviously, I want to write all the cool stuff about me, but you only have 160 characters to work with, and I'm not that cool. I've changed it numerous times, (3 times yesterday) and right now I have: "I'm competitive when it comes to board games and pilates class." I'm trying to show that I'm into old school games, fitness, and have a sense of humor, because who's really competitive in Pilates class? Well, me...but that's because I'm flexible and the rest of the class...is...not. Other bios included my interests of: gaming, working out, baking, coffee, dogs, being an avid quoter of Will Ferrell movies, disc golfing.....blah, blah, blah. But my twitter profile pic conveys that I disc golf, and my background has a scene from the nes game, The Legend of Zelda, so I'm obviously a badass mofo.  

     So that's my first lackluster blog. The next one I write will have more background info on myself, so my nonexistant audience can get an idea of who I actually am. Boring.

3 comments:

  1. Kinda randomly found this while searching blogger and it appears I stumbled upon your very first blog! Good timing eh? I just recently joined Twitter as well so I am going through the same learning curve that you described. I still don't have all of the lingo down. Anywayz, nice blog and I look forward to future posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty surprised to see that I had a comment, thanks! Even more surprised that you didn't even fall asleep while reading it. Twitter was pretty lame the first week I signed up, but the more followers you get, the more interesting it becomes.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you it has gotten more interesting with more followers. There's a link to my Twitter on my blog - we should follow each other. I look forward to your next blog post! ~Keith

      Delete